Winter Storage: 5 Tips to Prepare your Unit
January 19th, 2023
Now that winter is upon us it’s a good time to prepare your storage items for the change in temperature. The following tips will help protect your belongings during the winter months so they are ready to use once spring arrives.
1. Clean Your Belongings
Living in New Mexico, we know things can get dusty! Giving your stored items a good cleaning will help to prevent mold, mildew, or corrosion. Sensitive items can also be covered with wool or cotton blankets to keep bugs and dust away.
2. Moisture Damage Prevention
Getting belongings and boxes off the floor will prevent them from collecting moisture in the winter. Store belongings on a pallet to allow for airflow under your stored items and prevent exposure to moisture.
3. Create a Barrier for Sensitive Items
Put sensitive items in the interior of your unit to prevent those items from more extreme temperature changes. Use non-sensitive items to create a barrier and protect those belongings that need some extra protection.
4. What Not to Store in the Winter
Electronics, items that contain any type of liquid, and battery operated belongings are best to store in a climate controlled environment during winter.
5. Prep Vehicles for Winter Storage
If you store a car or RV at Self Storage New Mexico it’s a good idea to prepare your vehicle for winter storage. Some helpful preparations include:
- Service car with oil change and fluid replacement.
- Disconnect and remove your battery to prevent fluid from freezing.
- Seal off ports of entry to prevent dust, bugs, and pests from entering your vehicle.
- Place the car on jack stands to maintain suspension longevity.
We hope these simple tips give some guidance for storing your items at Self Storage New Mexico this winter. If you’re in need of a storage space browse our available units here.